Thursday, September 4, 2008

Palin: My Take

The Sarah Palin thing has generated enough interest in me at a time when I happen to have the luxury to post a lot, that...here we are. My post about Sarah Palin. Or, I guess, Sarah Palin in the larger context of the presidential election/general electoral politics.

Her speech was good. Not just good. Awesome. I haven't heard a better speech since, perhaps, Zell Miller's at RNC '04. "I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a "community organizer," except that you have actual responsibilities." Money.

I haven't always agreed with John McCain's actions, but he is definitely unafraid to attack entrenched interests, and that is something we could use. Sarah Palin only bolsters that reputation, as she took on corrupt Republicans in Alaska, not to mention the oil companies, and scored unlikely and impressive victories--although much work is left to be done there, so long as the reprehensible Sen. Stevens and Rep. Young remain in office. Certainly, Obama, with his solid and longstanding support of such interests as NARAL and the NEA--not to mention his participation in Chicago machine politics--cannot claim the same reformist credentials.

Suddenly, I have another reason--if I needed one--to vote for McCain against Obama. I want to see Sarah Palin in national politics, and if she can gain more experience and the stars align, I will wholeheartedly support her for president someday. She is smart, up-front, a doer rather than a talker, nevertheless a great communicator, and genuine. She seems to have a knack for mocking opponents in a way that seems more legitimate than mean. And she gets people fired up in a big way. (Just watch the video.)

And not just people...ME. How often does that happen without some maize and blue involvement?