Saturday, February 16, 2008

Tragedy

Yesterday, or two days ago now really, a man walked into a classroom at Northern Illinois University and started shooting.

My good friend Tom, a graduate student there, is fine, as is his sister, who also attends the school; I was extremely glad to discover that. My current boss, Sny-Phi Complex Director Nitin Goil, worked at Northern Illinois for several years before this one; today was a hard day for him, as well. Keep them in your prayers.

Events like this sadden me immensely, but they rarely shock me. Humanity is a fallen race in a fallen world, and only the constant grace of God in our lives makes this sort of thing the exception rather than the rule. And so, in light of God's power and control over every situation, use the greatest weapon we have, our right as children of God to approach His throne in prayer, to pray for that campus, the students and staff there, and the families of the victims and the shooter.